Keepin’ Things Real: Parenting - 7 ways to lead your family (Part 3)November 09, 2010
I write to you, dear children, because you know the Father.
I write to you, fathers, because you know him who is from the beginning.
I write to you, young men, because you are strong, and the word of God lives in you,
and you have overcome the evil one. (1 John 2:14)
You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. (1 John 4:4)
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome, for everyone born of God overcomes the world. This is the victory that has overcome the world, even our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world? Only the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God. (1 John 5:3-5)
Did you see the incredible truth for our lives in these verses? Because of Christ we are over-comers and we stand victorious over this world and the evil one. Friend, our kids need to see us as PARENT OVERCOMERS...in other words...they need to see Christ active and alive in our lives when live gets hard. They are watching you and how you handle stress, difficulty, problems. They need to see us "struggle well" through the issues of life without losing our focus and without losing our faith. John reminds us in these verses several things that will help us live as Parent Overcomers....
1. knowing the father...the greek word "know" means intimacy. It is intimacy with our Heavenly Father that provides the victory. It is in the stuggles of life that we MUST remain close to the FATHER and hear his voice!
2. knowing the word ... as John reminds us...it is the Word of God ALIVE IN US...did you see the phrase (living in you) that gives us strength
3. knowing who you are .... again, John reminds us that it is Christ in us...that gives us the victory. As born again believers, we have the third person of the trinity deposited in us to help guide us through all of life's circumstances.
4. knowing what to do .... in other words...knowing that the commands of God are not a burden but rather the only way to live
5. knowing what you have....you have faith, even if it is a small as a mustard seed, and you have power because you have Christ
I talked to a friend of mine who recently lost his job. He would tell you it was an incredibly difficult and testing time in his life and the life of his family. In the midst of this, he said to his son...son, these are the times in life that we get to put everything we say into practice...we are about to see if we really believe all that we say we do about Christ and our faith...His son saw him struggle well...and when he got another job...his son came to him and said, Dad, you held onto your faith....you proved to me that Christ can be trusted...in other words...his dad lived as a parent overcomer....may we all do the same!
Return to Top
||Post a Comment|